- 1 Avoid immediately jumping to conclusions.
- 2 Ask him how much space he needs.
- 3 Express your feelings and needs.
- 4 Tell him you’re there for him.
- 5 Set a time frame if he wants a longer break.
- 6 Give him the space he asked for.
- 7 Practice self-compassion.
What does it mean when your boyfriend needs space?
In a new relationship, when a guy says he wants space, he might not be ready for a relationship just yet or maybe the relationship you are building is progressing too fast. The worst-case scenario would be that he wants to break up, however, that would be only accurate if he is losing interest in you.
Is it normal for guys to want space in a relationship?
Yes, a man does need space. Needing space doesn’t necessarily mean he doesn’t want to be with you. It just means he wants to spend his time focusing on something other than his relationship with you!
Is needing space in a relationship healthy?
Why Space is Essential. Every healthy relationship needs space from time to time. Giving ourselves space that is separate from our relationship allows us to still maintain individuality. Having physical space or uninterrupted time to ourselves allows us to pay closer attention to our emotions.