What to say when you feel disrespected in a relationship?
- Start with why what you want to say is important.
- Briefly describe what happened that felt hurtful or disrespectful.
- Say how their behavior made you feel—the impact.
- Ask for what you need going forward.
- End by reinforcing why you are making this request.
How do you fix a relationship with no respect?
Establishing and Losing Respect
Respect is established when you consistently: consider and value the feelings and opinions of your partner; talk to and treat your partner in ways that you would want to be treated; and compromise and negotiate with your partner.
How do you treat someone that disrespects you?
Be direct but polite. When you do confront the other person, be clear and matter-of-fact about the issue. Calmly explain what the problem is and how their behavior is affecting you. Don’t be afraid to firmly but politely ask them to explain their behavior.